Monday, June 13, 2011

Pork chops with Pineapple Salsa

This is all that is left of TWO whole pineapples I bought yesterday. I bought the first one because I wanted to try this salsa recipe, but it didn't survive. I knew husbeast was doin' some damage to it, but I figured I could count on him to save at least 1 cup of it for me. That was before we urged weebeastie to try a bite. It took a while to persuade him to try it, but then he started devouring it and there was no hope left for my salsa.

I made a second trip to the grocery store just for pineapple. It didn't last the night. If I hadn't had the foresight to hide the cup of it that I needed, we would be salsa-less. And after all that trouble, I don't even like the damned salsa. Boo.

Husbeast loves it, swears he could eat it all day. I don't care for it, but I guess I should have seen that coming. I don't usually like things to be sweet AND spicy. One or the other please. If you're into it though, here's the recipe...

1 cup chopped fresh pineapple
8 diced dried apricots
2 Tbs. diced red onion
2 Tbs. diced cilantro
1/4 tsp grated lime zest
2 Tbs. lime juice
1 finely diced sorrano pepper

Mix, chill, blah. (I mean serve.)

The pork is a lion that I sliced into thick medallions, sprinkled with a mixture of salt, pepper and chili powder, brushed with olive oil and then grilled for about 8 minutes. (I didn't even overcook them, which is a real feat for me.)

Next up, we have the yams. Hell yeah.

I just took a large can of yams (drained and rinsed the light syrup off), melted some butter in a skillet, threw some raisins, shredded coconut and chopped almonds in there and fried that for a minute or so, then added the yams and cooked until warmed through. No sugar added - perfect without any. Oh yeah, cinnamon and allspice, dash of salt. Easy.


No comments:

Post a Comment