Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Gumbo

Oh yeah, blogging. I forgot. Apparently somebody actually reads this thing because I have been yelled at for neglecting it (hi mom!). So, here we go...


mmm, gumbo. See, this is the kind of thing I like to do. I'm not running all over hell's half acre looking for obscure ingredients to make some blasphemous concoction that I will call "pizza" in the hopes that my brain will accept it as pizza. Nope. If I want pizza, I'll go to Costco and get a slice of freakin' pizza. To hell with it.
If I'm cooking, I want real actual food. Things that are nearly paleo already (or close enough) and just need a little tweaking to be perfect.

Like gumbo.

This is really just regular old gumbo. Recipes vary as far as thickeners are concerned, most use a roux (not acceptable) but some use File (didn't have any) and some just use the okra slime (bingo). I could also have used arrowroot, but it didn't really need it.

So here it is...

In a large pot, brown diced onion, bell pepper, celery and a bay leaf in some coconut oil.

In a separate pan, brown some smoked sausage, remove from pan and add diced chicken for a few minutes to brown the chicken a little (it will not be done).

Throw the chicken in with the onion mixture, add some chicken broth, thawed okra, canned tomatoes (with juice) and add to taste the following:

red pepper flakes
turmeric
thyme
oregano
salt/pepper
cayenne pepper
tabasco

Cover and simmer on low until the chicken is done, or until you can no longer keep your husband out of it (about 30 min). Throw the sausage in at nearly the last minute.

Besides using the most paleo-friendly thickener, the only other thing that makes it paleo/primal is the lack of rice. Easy.

Also, it's been declared the new house favorite. (Thank the Flying Spaghetti Monster for that, I'm sick to death of making Chicken Saag!)


No comments:

Post a Comment