Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Steak Pizzaiola

Steak - pizza maker's style. I've made this a few times over the years, and always felt it was pretty mediocre. You know, good. Not great. Unacceptable.

Since it really is a paleo dish on it's own with no changes at all needed, it really needed to be perfected so that I could add it to our list of yummy-healthy meals.

I finally got it right. It's been officially declared "The Best Ever" by the beast, so I guess I better take down some notes!

The recipe I have always used has you brown the steaks in a skillet, then add the rest of the crap. I have never managed to accomplish this without the meat being too tough. So this time, I grilled the steaks to about medium-rare, then set them aside while I worked on the sauce. I don't like it to be a super herby pasta-style sauce. I just brown some onions and bell peppers in olive oil, add minced garlic, then canned diced tomatoes. Add salt and pepper to taste, then a little basil and parsley. That's it. Don't go crazy with tons of oregano and dill and thyme etc. Simmer until the tomatoes start to break apart.

Slice the steaks into thin strips and add them in for just the last few minutes of simmering. The meat was super cut-it-with-a-fork tender and the whole thing was spectacular.

No comments:

Post a Comment