Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Coconut Chicken

I love coconut. I think that's one of my favorite things about the paleo cooking, it includes a hell of a lot of coconut. (If you have the Primal Blueprint cookbook, don't make the coconut pancakes. I know it sounds good, but trust me on this one, barf.)

I realized the other night that I was out of onions and also realized that there isn't a damn thing I know how to cook (on the diet) that doesn't include onions. Weird.
So I had to go looking for inspiration sans onion. I found this. I didn't have coconut milk or almonds (I can't keep almonds in the house because someone takes the whole bag to work with him as soon as I buy them!) so I had to improvise.

I hit my chicken breasts up with the meat tenderizer, then soaked them in buttermilk for a few hours. Then I rolled them in a mixture of unsweetened coconut, cinnamon and salt. I think it would probably have been better with the almonds (it's definitely prettier with the almonds) but we'll never know.

All I can say for sure is that while it was really good, it needed a sauce. In fact, pretty much everything needs a sauce as far as I'm concerned. There is a recipe for coconut (of course) dressing in the Primal Blueprint I think I'll try next time.

The little cup is collard greens (frozen) and I just boiled them in chicken broth with salt and red pepper flakes.

No comments:

Post a Comment