Sunday, April 3, 2011

Cajun Game Hen (fail)

I give this dinner two big fat "meh"s. I stole the recipe for cajun game hen from my Double Musky Inn cookbook. I've had this dish at the restaurant and it was really good. I bought the cookbook and made it at home following the recipe exactly and it was good. The problem is that it is seasoned, slathered with cayenne pepper sauce and mustard, then rolled in flour and dropped into a deep fryer. Yikes.
This time around I followed the recipe up to the rolling in flour part, I just skipped that and popped it into the oven instead.
Meh. It wasn't bad exactly, it just wasn't particularly good.

The okra (jeez we eat a lot of okra) is a blend of two recipes I found online. I follow the Spicy African Okra recipe but omit the whole chile and instead add the cayenne, turmeric and half the garlic from the Indian Okra recipe just underneath. It's really good (one of husbeast's favorites) but slimy. Don't be a wuss.

No comments:

Post a Comment