Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Pulled Pork

Pork barbeque is a great way to have a delicious dinner for cheap. I paid less than $15 for this shoulder and the manbeast and I will eat it for dinner or lunch for three days. (Unless he keeps making his own plate, as you can see from the photo above, he piles every plate as though he thinks it may be his last.)
I borrowed the original recipe from here but changed it a bit. I used 1 TBS smoked paprika and 2 TBS sweet paprika (not a big fan of the smoked in general) and I added some cayenne.
I followed the sauce recipe more or less (I may have added Habanero sauce), but holy hell, it was vinegar-y. It smelled like a massengill factory up in here. I had to cut it with some molasses (still paleo, I think?) and at least twice the amount of ketchup. (Yes I used store bought ketchup. Let's not get crazy, mmkay?)
It was still a very thin not sweet at all type of sandwich style sauce. I was happy with it.

The sides are my previously mentioned pasta-less salad, and what should have been oven fried okra. It was definitely oven fried, just not for long enough, owing to the fact that my husband was near death from starvation (eyeroll) and the okra had to be rushed. Usually it gets slightly browned and nice and crunchy. Best veggie dish EVAR.
Just thaw frozen okra in the microwave, then drain it, toss it in olive oil and salt and scatter it out on a cookie sheet. Bake at 400 for 30-45 minutes, stir it a couple of times.

No comments:

Post a Comment