Friday, March 4, 2011

Meatloaf



Ah, meatloaf. I've never met anyone who didn't like a good meatloaf. There isn't really that much to change to make meatloaf paleo. Most recipes call for breadcrumbs, but I just put a few tablespoons of oat bran in mine instead. Although oat bran isn't paleo, we eat it anyway because the manbeast has the cholesterol of an obese 90 year old, and oat bran helps. I've been eating a bowl of oat bran for breakfast too (my cholesterol is fine, I just like it) but I'm weary of it. If I start having trouble loosing weight, it'll be the first thing to go.

So, meatloaf. I use really lean meat, and mix in all of the usual suspects - onion, bell pepper, garlic, worcestershire sauce, salt, pepper, thyme and savory. I've never liked cooking it in a loaf pan where it just boils in it's own fat, so I use this pan.










The fat drains away and your meatloaf is a little healthier. Using lean meat and no breadcrumbs does make for a very dense meatloaf, but it's not dry. Also, I skip the gross layer of congealed tomato shit on top, but feel free if you're into it (freak).

The side dish is just purple cabbage and carrots sauteed in butter. It wasn't that great (pretty though). The carrots overpowered the cabbage, I think I'll just stick to cabbage and apples next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment