Thursday, July 14, 2011

Crabbypatties

First, just so you know, these really have no right at all to be on a paleo blog (even a half-assed one).

I'd made these long before we tried to eat paleo and they were a total hit. They are everything crab cakes should be - crunchy on the outside, tender on the inside and spicy as hell, with a creamy, spicy dipping sauce - perfection.

A few days ago I had a rare seafood craving and decided it was time to paleo-ize these bitches. Seemed like it would be possible, it's just crab meat, mayo, eggs and a bunch of onion and hot peppers. The only problems were the breadcrumbs and the fact that they are dipped in flour prior to frying. No problem. I'll just use oat bran (not paleo, but better than breadcrumbs) and dust them with coconut flour. But...

Coconut flour is balls.

I just can't work with it. I've tried before and discovered that coconut flour pancakes are gagtastic, but I thought this would be different. It's just a small amount on the outside of the crab cakes, it'll be fine. WRONG. It scorches like hell and even if you manage not to scorch it, it still tastes like ass.
I wound up using regular old white flour. Still, it's just a small amount, but between the oat bran and the flour, I just can't call it paleo. No recipe for you. :(

No comments:

Post a Comment